Thursday, October 30, 2008

A sneak peek - The Top Hat

I thought I would show a sneak peek of Ed's top hat. Since we're running behind on everything costume wise I doubt I will get a picture of us both before Halloween, all dressed up. So, I'll show one of the coolest items other than the cane that is in Ed's costume:



And here is a close up of the cool little doo-hickey on the side:


Ed chose both the fabric and helped me put together the accessory for the hat. The fabric is a spiderweb design that was on sale at JoAnns the other day. We had decided on a plain black satin but he fell in love with this fabric some time ago. Since it was on sale he splurged a bit and bought a yard for the hat.

So last night I had him sit down and I measured his head using a piece of black posterboard and marked where it stopped. It took 3 pieces of posterboard and fabric; one for the top of the hat, one for the middle/sides and one for the brim. All I did was eyeball everything, and it went ok except that I screwed up on the middle part and didn't cut enough fabric. At least, I did originally but I measured the middle and it bent inward a bit when I measured, so there is a small patch on the other side, which I won't show you, that covers my boo boo. But it's hardly noticable since the fabric is pretty busy and the accessory is on the opposite side which draws the eye there.

Just for reference the "top hat" part, that starts at the top part of the brim, is 5 inches high. It seemed like a reasonable height, since neither of us had ever seen a real top hat before. There was no sewing involved though because I hot glued everything on the hat.

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty incredible looking! Can't wait to see the rest of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a wonderful job on that Top Hat. I love the accent you've place on it.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing this final creation.

    ReplyDelete