Friday, October 9, 2009

iDye Poly, My Experience

A friend wanted something made with black lace, but Joanns didn't have much of a selection. I found some great lace, but it was white. What to do, what to do? I went to the fabric marker/paint section and actually found "over the counter" dye for polyester! Which was what the lace I found was made of. So, eagerly I bought 2 packs. One for practice and one for actual dyeing.

Once I got a pot big enough for the task from the thrift store (enamel, with a lid) I set to work. In the iDye pack there is the colorant and a small package of clear goo that you put into the mix. I got my lace all cut off the batch and some skewers to swish it around with, since I somehow lost my wooden dyeing spoon from my last foray into fabric dyeing. The mix was heating up and I tossed in the lace. The instructions say to simmer the concotion, so I cranked up the heat to about medium high and waited.

As soon as it started heating up the stench of the hot dye was incredible. It was like burned rubber, but boiling burned rubber. It was so overpowering! I ran to open windows and turn on fans, and then back to the pot of dye to see if it was simmering yet. Not yet, so I stirred and tried not to inhale too many of the fumes. I was gagging by then, and usually smells don't really get to me enough that I get all queasy. I ran, again, but this time to find my face mask that I use when I use my dremel, or for drilling type projects. It isn't the cheapest, but it isn't like a gas mask either. Just a surgical type mask with a little filter on the front. Thankfully it helped, but the damage was done, in more ways than one.

After running back from digging through things for the mask, I came back to find the pot angrily simmering away, on the point of boiling. I slapped the lid on (which I hadn't done before then) and stirred a little but upon closer inspection I realized that a fine mist had formed from the boiling/simmer and there were tiny blue dots all over my kitchen. Even across the kitchen! I can only imagine how much of that I inhaled before putting the mask on, which I didn't do until after I scrubbed at the counter tops to see if it would come off. For days afterwards my lungs hurt. I don't think there were any lasting effects, but it was a little scary.

Despite the mask, the smell was just too much. The instructions say to simmer it for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, but after about 25 minutes I had to stop that smell. So, I pulled everything out early, rinsed both pot and lid and lace and then spent the next hour using oxy clean and a scrubbie to get the blue mist off my counters, appliances and sink. I am still finding spots with blue mist all over it, where I didn't see it at first.

But, the lace came out great even though I pulled it out early! There is a faint green tinge to it in places, but for my first experiment with it, I'm happy with the product. At least in terms of how well it works. The stink on the other hand, really turns me off.


Dyed lace. Unfortunately Ed turned the lace with the wrong side up, so you don't get to see the cute ribbon detail on the front, but you get the point.

Next time I will use my little propane powered camp stove and do this outside. There is no way that I will have that disgusting smell in my house again. Oh, and another point: No where in the instructions did it say to ventilate! It said "do not inhale" but that is far different than talking about ventilation. I'm surprised at that.

If you do choose to use iDye Poly, you really, really need to have good ventilation. The smell lingers, but does dissipate with time. I think by the next day it no longer smelled like burned rubber in my apartment.


6 comments:

  1. Sorry about the picture. I think I was delirious from all the gem pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey.. I just found you blog when looking for a personal experience using idye poly. I'm attempting to dye a bridesmaid dress black. it's currently gold/peach and blends right in with my skin... not a great look. Would you recommend I cover my countertop or anythings so I don't get blue splotches?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I had small blue dots all over my cabinets up top and countertops. Some came off with scrubbing and different soap/bleach or soap/oxy clean solution sprays but some spots are still there even now.

    I would pick up painters plastic and tape it all over where you need to cover including undersides of cabinets if they are exposed to your dye pot. It's usually found in the paint seection of Lowes or Home Depot and can sometimes be found at Big Lots (it's the same stuff I use for reproducing sewing patterns so I don't ruin them; so I can make adjustments).

    Good luck! I think it dyes pretty well, better than Rit dye ever did for cotton in my opinion.

    (Valerie - who has this blog but can't remember which google account I've signed in under)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey valerie,

    I did my dye last night. The dress is !00% polyester chiffron and the fabric is really delicate. I did get a couple blue splotches and wipped them immediately. I recommend wooden spoon vs tongs (which could damage the delicate fabric, fortunately the damaged I caused can easily be fixed). I used black dye on a 0.8lb dress. I thought that since the dye is for 2-3lbs, I would be good. I stired it almost the entire 60 minute period and kept it at a boil (then dropped it to a simmer). I put it in the washer but .. it came out splotchy and more hunter green then black. I'm going to give it round 2 tonight and see what happens. I'll send you some photos and my story in case you're looking for a feature.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dyed my wedding dress blue with I-Dye Poly, with great success! No splotches, which may be because I washed the garment in a professional textile detergent first.

    http://bonnieprojects.blogspot.com/2013/02/i-dyed-my-wedding-reception-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found this post. The dye has worked great for our needs but turned our white range hood pink! Nothing was taking it off until my quick-thinking significant other splashed some nail polish remover on a rag. Everything wiped clean as new with little effort! Re-washed with soapy water to remove acetone, but crisis definitely averted!

    ReplyDelete