Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Color me

I often get yardage or used sheets at thrift stores to try out new things, use for muslins and what not. I got about 4 yards of what I thought was cotton quite some time ago, until I did a burn test this evening and found it to be some kind of poly cotton. I also picked up a queen (or king?) sized flannel sheet to mess with. What I ended up doing with them both was testing my first ever batch of RIT dye on scraps of them. Both were an off white, with the flannel having a pattern along the top edge, which is where I took the scrap from, and the poly cotton having a "natural" linen type look to it.


Flannel is on the left, the blend is on the right

Quite a difference! It was an interesting test. I used the bucket/sink and hot water method to dye these as I don't have a pot that I can dedicate to stovetop dyeing. The cotton flannel took a deeper color almost immediately and seemed to rinse out easier as well. I chose the Royal Blue color because I have an obsession with blue, thinking that no matter what it turned out like, I would probably like it no matter the hue. And, I was correct. Both of them I like and now just need to figure out what to do with them. I don't know if the whole 4 yards (minus 1/4 or so that I cut off for this test) will fit in my container, which is an oh-so-fancy plastic storage container that I got from Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment