Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Hardware

I decided to create a seperate blog for my sewing endeavors since beginner sewing doesn't really belong on an art blog. But, I mentioned there that I had gotten a sewing machine that my beloved boyfriend found for me at a thrift store for the princely sum of $21. It is a Singer Stylist 6548. It uses discs to get the fancier stitches, but I found out a while ago after playing with it that it won't do any of the fancy stitches. What a bummer! It beats the hell out of my Babylock for straight and zigzag though. Pictures of both machines are below:

The Singer


The Babylock

The Babylock I got from a nice lady on freecycle but it's persnickity. The zig zag skips and the fancy stitches start out well but then start looking messy. I'm sure it could use an overhaul. The Singer is by far the easier to work with. It can pull many layers through while the Babylock gets bogged down without much effort.

I had been doing zippers on the Baby but I just found a Singer zipper foot (that was missing from mine) at JoAnn's tonight and it seems to work. I was putting off ordering online, just because I don't know where to order from. I'm still new to this!

Soon I hope to post some of the things I have made so far. I've been seriously sewing for about 6 months now, but building up the stash, thread, and other notions takes a while when you're a starving artist. Actually I'm not starving and am in fact rather plump, but it's such a visual term isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Valerie,
    I've just inherited the singer stylist 6548 and am trying to learn to sew on my own using the manual. I can't get the bottom seam (from the bobbin) to stop bunching up and sew a straight line. What settings are you using for a straight seam? Mine might need to go for repair.
    Thanks for the info....

    ReplyDelete