Monday, May 18, 2009

Home Dec - Table Cover

I don't do much home dec sewing, mainly because I'm not into interior design and whatnot. We like a modern look and that doesn't use things like ruffles and frilly fabrics. But, we acquired a table from the side of the dumpster (yes, we "dumpster dive", although rarely do we actually get in one unless there is something awesome in there). We live in a college aged apartment complex and we've found that college aged people love to throw perfectly fine things away. Actually most of the furniture in our apartment is used or from collecting things that are on the side of the trash. The folding table I use for sewing is one of those items!

In any case, we got this cute, retro looking table. It was absolutley filthy with old wax from candles all over it, along with the dust that any outdoor item here in the desert accumulates. After a through cleaning and some elbow grease, the table emerged clean but with a few scars on it. Since the gouges were a little large, but didn't actually go into the table (just into the veneer) I decided to make a table cover for it.

But, the table is round. That means math doesn't it? Yikes, I hate math. But I was determined, so I went in search of the formula to find circumference. Measuring the diameter was a simple as measuring from one end of the table to the other. Entering that measurement into the equation gave me the circumference so I would know how much fabric I would need.

Keeping with the retro feel, even though I will be covering the table and the retro details I decided to give the table cover cording and rick rack. But since I had no cording that was as thick as I wanted I had to make my own. That was only a matter of covering the cording with bias tape, a very simple task.


This is the finished result:



The covering is a tad large and the cording doesn't sit at the very edge in some places, but that was from my late night sewing job rather than from the measuring. There are a few places where the cording slipped to the edge of the fabric circle because I didn't use enough pins. My bad. But, it is still perfectly functional and only I will notice that flaw.

The only problem now is that when you sit in the chair at the right there is a hummingbird feeder above your head, so our little hummingbirds won't feed because we are so close! Note: the chair to the left is the chair that our dog lays in when she suns herself, isn't she just the queen? She has her own THRONE.


No comments:

Post a Comment