Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Pin Cushion For Me

Tired of dragging my tomato pin cushion around with me when I go from my cutting and pinning table to my sewing machine, I went browsing JoAnns the other day for a wrist pin cushion. What a poor selection! Not to mention I figured I could make one for about 50 cents, when they were selling ugly ones for about $8. So I did just that.



From the front: I used some scrap fabric and scrap elastic. I doubled the fabric thinking that it would hold up more. My tomato pin cushion is starting to wear in a certain spot where I stab my pins into, and I didn't want that happening to this one. But, the drawback is that it is almost too tough to poke a pin through easily. I have to touch a finger to the pin cushion to steady it while putting the pin into it. Not a big deal though since sometimes I have to do that with the other one anyways to keep it from sliding away from me.



From the back: Yeah, I know you can see the thread. I wasn't going for looks, just functionality and I have a bunch of little bits of thread on the spools left that need to be used up. I usually use them for the hand sewing that I have to do if it either doesn't show or doesn't matter if it does.

Anyways, what I did was cut out 4 circles of suede and blanket stitched them together. The layers of suede are a safeguard against poking myself. The leather should stop it if it gets down that far. Then, I sewed the suede circle onto the pin cushion by tacking down around the blanket stitch, going through a little leather if I could. Finally I sewed the elastic onto the pin cushion and sized it to my left wrist (I'm a righty and pin with my right hand), gave it a couple zigzag stitches to secure the elastic and I was done!

So, my first and very own handmade wrist pin cushion! It is coming in very handy and I've already used it several times.

No comments:

Post a Comment