Sunday, July 13, 2008

One Yarder, Fast Project

I'm recovering from a small medical procedure, so any long term projects are put on hold. But, I've managed to start and finish a small project using only a single yard of fabric, which is great to use up leftover fabric too.

This is Kwik Sew 1672 an 80's OOP that I purchased off of ebay some time ago. It uses a single yard of fabric and is absolutely perfect for making boxers for Ed because getting him to go shopping for anything new is like pulling teeth. On the other hand he doesn't mind going fabric shopping with me, so if we find a cool fabric he likes it usually gets made into another pair of boxers. This fabric was a whopping dollar from the big W. Cost is about $2.00 per pair or less if I can find el cheapo fabric, which isn't bad considering that it's easier to make a pair than to get him to go buy clothes. It uses plain pajama/underwear elastic along the waistband and is a pretty fun and easy pattern to make. There are two views, one that has the squared leg and one that curves upwards (think 80's short short for men).

The leg detail is the fiddliest:
And yes, the sides don't match. I'm not that advanced yet, and it would mean I had to use more than one yard.

I did have to make some adjustments since the seam allowance is only 1/4 inch. The slits needed have an additional 1/4 added to each edge since it would have left a raw edge if I only folded it over once, like the instructions say to.

No comments:

Post a Comment