Monday, November 10, 2008

Halloween Costumes - Details Part 4 - The Accessories

While not technically sewing, I am dying to show off the cool little accessories that we made for the halloween costumes. People got quite a kick out of them!

First, the man accessories, one of which I already gave a sneak peek of before anything else:


The top hat



Top Hat Accessory on the Band

And to show you that this isn't a fancy, store bought hat, I will show the insides of it and give you and idea as to how it was created:


Inside the Top Hat, Construction Details


The other major man accessory, for any Victorian gentleman is the cane:


The cane

The cane was made out of a large copper painted wooden dowel, a copper painted wooden door knob for the head and was studded with copper upholstery nails that were outlined in permanent marker. The end was one of those feet you put on the legs of chairs to keep them from skidding across the floor.


Copper Painted Wooden Door Knob


Cane Details: Copper Nails Outlined in Black Marker

Now, the ladies accessories, which are a lot more of, so if you bore easily you may want to step away. We'll start from the top down.

While I don't have the greatest picture of how my hair was done, on the opposite side I had a hair fascinator that I made out of feathers, a gear, a vintage ruby colored glass gem, and a brass floral stamping that I got from the hardware store that is used for a decorative touch in the hardware for holding up a mirror. Also in my hair was a hair clip that I made with gears, a washer, a vintage brass stamping and swarovski crystals. Unfortunately by the time I got home and took it out, the rush glue job I did stopped holding and it's now in two pieces, but you get the idea:


Hair Fascinator


Hair Clip

The earrings I accumulated somehow, probably something my grandmother or mother gave me at one point, long ago:


Earrings of Unknown Origin

Next is a vintage rhinestone necklace from the 1930's that came all the way from England that an old friend sent me ages ago:


Vintage Rhinestone Necklace, circa 1930


Vintage Rhinestone Necklace, circa 1930, detail


The next item down was a brooch that I made to coordinate with the hair fascinator, using again the floral brass stamping, a gear and a vintage ruby colored glass gem. Nesting the gem is another vintage brass stamping that I just adore, of a flower. The gem rests so perfectly in there:


Feminine Gear Brooch

The last on my body was a gorgeous bracelet that I got from Carol of Beaded Baubles. She does absolutely amazing chain maille. This is in copper which went fabulously well with my whole attire.


Copper Chain Maille Bracelet by Carol of BeadedBaubles.com

And that completes the costumes! The accessories are the last part and I must say that we had a blast creating these babies, in addition to the party that gave us the ideas for everything. Once given a theme we just ran with it.








No comments:

Post a Comment