Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Handbags

I was recently sent a link to this CraftBits project that uses old silk ties to make a handbag. Since we have ties coming out of our ears from buying them by bag at the thrift store (which they don't always have, you have to be there at the right time I think). After we sorted the one's that Ed liked, which weren't many, I had a lot of ties left. So, I made this bag:


Front



Back


Top/Flap

I'm not completely happy with the way it gapes open at the top, and will try another to fix this issues, especially since we just got 2 more bags of ties this past weekend. The project does take a lot of ties, and you have about half of each tie leftover. So what to do with those pieces?

I also made myself a larger messenger bag that acts as my purse. I'm one of those people who have a lot to carry around, so a large bag is what suits my needs. Since I'm not into the fancier types of bags, this one is simple.


Front


Topstitching


Pocket and Lining

The outside is made with thrifted home dec weight fabric in a neat stripe and dot pattern. The inside is lined with simple quilters cotton, and I even went so fancy as to give myself a pocket. The first one I ever made, which was one of the first projects I ever made, had no pocket and was made of beige corduroy and lined in a white heavy weight canvas. Pretty boring! I needed a little more oomph, although this one is still pretty mild in comparison to others I see.

So, as I type this I'm sitting in my newly sewn jammie pants that I just made out of a thin knit that feels so soft! I probably won't post pictures about these since they are pretty standard and boring. Nothing cute or fancy about them, just plain blue but I tried to recreate a pair I wore and loved to death until the holes I sewed closed started to have their own holes. Yeah, they were pretty ratty, but they were so soft it was like wearing nothing and I just couldn't let them go until I wore every seam out. Ah, I still miss those jammie pants!

1 comment:

  1. I LIKE that green bag a lot! That is awesome.

    Austin

    ReplyDelete